Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Vincent van Gogh at MOMA


Vincent van Gogh
The Starry Night 1889

The Museum of Modern re-opened in 2005 after being closed for five years for renovation. I waited in line to attend opening night back then. It’s collection includes some of the world’s best: Cezanne’s The Bather, Matisse’s Dance, Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d’Avignon and others. It’s amazing that you can photograph some of the works of art. I love van Gogh. His technique is so beautiful and you have to get very close to appreciate it. I have spent many hours in the past looking at his work. But when I peered at The Starry Night and said to my sister, ‘look you can actually see the canvas,’ suddenly a guard appeared and said, “Miss, you must stand back two feet.” There is no rope, no signs, nothing that told me I couldn’t get close; but, he called me ‘Miss.’

No comments: