Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Patti Smith Dream of Life REVIEW



RenCen, Downtown Detroit, shot from Canada

"Dream of Life," 2008, a documentary film about Patti Smith by Steven Sebring

"A" took me to see the Patti Smith documentary, "Dream of Life," at the Paramount in Wellington.

The film was shot over an eleven-year period, following Smith from New York to Detroit and around the world.

These are the things I now know about Patti Smith that I didn't know before:

She is a slob
She's still a friend with Sam Shepherd, her lover from the 70's
She eats hamburgers
She looks great at 60 (in 2006)
She wears Prado shoes (purchased at a Duty Free Shop in an Australian airport before entering New Zealand.)

She and Sam Shepard have tattoos from a wild night in New York in the 70's... we saw his tattoo on his hand, but when Patti pulled up her pant leg, the camera did not get a shot of it. (Sam Shepard never succumbed to Hollywood pressure to have perfect teeth.)
She still spits when she performs (At the Allen Ginsberg memorial there was a nasty piece that hung on her lip for a long time. It was like watching a car wreck.)

She adores her children
She's still political, despite eating meat
She loves her mum and dad
Lenny Kaye adores her (Actually I already knew this because I adore Lenny Kaye)
She eats meat (oh I said that.)
She can pee in a bottle on a small plane, while sitting next to the pilot who didn't have a clue -- (although the pilot from that time was not questioned about this.)
She didn't do drugs. (Well maybe she did but the word 'drug' was not in the film -- not even once, which has to be a first in a film about a punk rocker.)
She doesn't do drugs (Although she never said so, but hey, I wanted to know.)

Most of the performance footage in the film was from a concert where she wore a ragged drenched-in-sweat t-shirt. It's riveting. A few years ago I saw Patti Smith perform in Hoboken, New Jersey at a street fare. My daughter and I watched her from the side of the stage where we dodged her flying spits. (Warning, she spits to the left, stage right.) She wore her 'uniform:' white blouse, dark jacket, rolled up pants and heavy boots. There's something beautiful about Smith's choice to deny the male gaze to consume her body parts tightly wrapped by designer names. Her whole body and soul is her music and her poetry; and although the film is fantastic, it's nothing compared to listening to a cranked up CD, or even better, seeing her live.

"Dream of Life" is also the name of an album Smith produced with her husband, Fred Sonic Smith (guitarist from MC5) in Detroit in 1988. It's not my favorite -- Lenny Kaye is not on it, not that he holds a grudge. I met Lenny Kaye at the Knitting Factory in the 80's (when it was on Houston St.) where we shared the stage for an anti-war poetry reading. Lenny read his own poetry and I told him that on that very day I had cleaned the apartment while listening to him play on the album HORSES. He said he missed Patti since she moved to Detroit but that she was still the greatest living American poet ever. And then he bought my chapbook, "Vulva Poems." I tried to give it to him but he insisted on paying me the $2.00, which I used to buy a beer. Later I walked down Houston with Kate Millett, who was also a powerful reader that night.

A different review of this film can be seen at New Zealand's number one on-line publicaiton about theatre and the arts: www.lumierereader.co.nz. Although I gotta laugh at their title: "Poet Princess: Patti Smith" Princess? For the godmother of punk? The godfather of punk of course is Iggy Pop who is from Detroit, and Smith left New York in the 80's to live in Detroit for 16 years. Detroit has spitted out some great talent from Motown to punk and it is still going.
RenCen, Detroit, Michigan
 as seen from Windsor, Ontario, my birthplace

No comments: