Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Monarch on Mexican Sunflower


Photo by Leonard P. Johnson, Royal Oak, Michigan, taken in his yard with a Nikon.

Like the Monarch I'm migrating south to where it is warm. Soon I'll be back in New Zealand where it is summer. Tonight is my last night in the U.S. I've been saying goodbye to friends and New York. I had one last dinner with Dana this evening in a Mexican restaurant in Hoboken while it rained softly and we talked about how much we will miss each other. This is my fourth trip. NY to LA. LA to Auckland. Auckland to Wellington. The tough part is LA to Auckland, about 13 hours over the ocean.

Only one person made a comment to my inquiry if anyone would like to join me in not buying anything advertised for a week. Helen in Wellington, New Zealand, posted a comment saying she imagines it will be easy and so it will. My friends in NZ are more evolved than US of A Americans in their consumerism.

I'm inspired by the anti consumerism that is getting some attention these days, in particular the movie "What would Jesus Buy?" I've seen some excerpts with the Reverend preaching against buying. It is inspiring to see this downtown minister performance artist -- Reverend Billy and his Church of Stop Shopping -- be documented for the big screen. Right on Brother!

No comments: