Thursday, November 22, 2007

ABSOLUT VOKDA



Ad for vodka in front of Organic Health Food Store, Washington Street, Hoboken.

I may not get every image I see -- after all, most ads are created by 20-something white boys who come from some place else and land in New York thinking everyone owes them something, BUT for the life of me, (what an expression, what does it mean?) what the hell does this ad mean?

Is it saying?
Get drunk and take a cab and let your ride home be as thrilling as bunging jumping?

I would like to know what a cab driver thinks of this ad. Most cab drivers have had to clean up forms of puke and other body fluids in the back of their vehicle.

I practice, to the best of my ability, to deliberately not buy anything that is advertised. This is easier than you think. More and more people are getting pissed off about inferior un-regulated imported Chinese products. And it's not just China. Gap clothes are made by children working 16 hours a day in India. To be fair to the Gap they did issue a statement saying how shocked they were that this is going on!!

What we can do is buy local -- as much as possible, food from farmers and not over priced Whole Foods whose policies of identifying organic and non organic food is suspect (my own testing is solely based on taste,) I only trust Integral Yoga on West 13th Street, in part because Whole Foods is trying to put these smaller stores out of business.

Anyone want to join me in trying to not buy anything advertised for a week? For a day? It's fun.

1 comment:

helen varley jamieson said...

no problem diane, i'll join you in that! i reckon i can do a week easily.
h : )