Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Wal-Mart Effect - My Review in Lumiere



All Roads Lead to Wal-Mart!!! The biggest store in the world!
See my review of "The Wal-Mart Effect" by Charles Fishman published in Lumiere Reader in New Zealand: http://www.lumiere.net.nz/reader/item/1283

I took this photo in Windsor, Ontario, where I accompanied my father who bought a DVD player for $49 CAD. Notice the Canadian and British flags.

“...shopping at Wal-Mart makes us complicit in all kinds of mistreatment that makes our frugality seem misery, even cruel.” From Charles Fishman's book, "The Wal-Mart Effect".

1 comment:

Traveler's Journey in Babel said...

Loved the review, diane. Some of this pricing being unique to WallMart is bull. I've seen loads of DVD players in NY for, on average, $50. These superstores also provide a lazy car culture with one-stop shopping. No one walks anymore if they don't have to. This amounts to a Burger King/WallMart sloth society and further detracts from an already unhealthy american lifestyle that's being adopted globally.