Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dali Lama


My last day in Wellington this time around was also the day the Dali Lama came to town. I asked the universe to let me see him since I did not have a ticket, the 8,000 seat Arena had sold out. Walking to my yoga class I cut through the James Cook Hotel and felt his presence. I sat down. A car pulled up, I looked behind me, he was in a black car, sitting in the passenger side, front seat. He got out, came into the lobby followed by security. I stood up, bowed, took his picture, and bowed again.

Next time I'll ask the universe to see AND hear him. I missed his message but Rose said later over tea and cake that he talked about family, mothers in particular. On TV the night before a reporter asked him if he can remember his past lives and the Dali Lama said no sometimes I can't remember what I did yesterday. His message: develop a smart mind but also develop a compassionate heart. He said he may be the last Dali Lama.

It was sad that the Chinese Government pressured Helen Clark the Prime Minister of New Zealand to not meet with the Dali Lama and so there was no formal event with NZ's PM. This saddens me. The Chinese Government also pressured PM Howard of Australia to not meet with the Dali Lama and he told them to stuff it. One news report quoted Howard as saying: 'we will not put trade before human rights.' Ah, election years are so full of hope.

No comments: