Friday, March 16, 2007

Bent Not Broken - A Review


Here is my review as it appears in Lumiere Reader. However, I would like to provide my original review as written before the theatre editor changed it. Although I agreed to the changes, I now feel I would like to present the original review, as I wrote it because it represents what I saw at the theatre that night. In particular, I would like to put back in the last sentence of the opening paragraph (after: some children survive, some do not.) which was deleted: "Anyone who survives a mother who always had money for drink but not for food is a survivor."

Bent Not Broken
BATS Theatre, Wellington, New Zealand
March 13-16 | Reviewed by Diane Spodarek

Bent Not Broken is a solo performance, based on Lauren Roche’s autobiographical novel of same name. Lauren’s story is about growing up in New Zealand – and for a short time Australia – under extraordinary circumstances: an extreme environment of abuse by alcohol and drug addicted people. These included her own mother, father, friends of the family, relatives, strangers and later boyfriends, husbands and johns. The consequences of this environment are all too common. Some children survive, some do not. Read more: http://www.lumiere.net.nz/reader/item/874

Original review will be posted on my website when I finish the next lesson on how to make changes on my website:
www.dangerousdiane.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diane- We were in EMU grad school together back in '75. Thought I'd do a search for you and see what's up. I read your blogs. Looks like your work has expanded into other arenas- wonder if you are singing any longer or doing video works? Anyway, I hope you remember me- the last time I saw you was back in '84 in nyc. Love to hear from you and hope all is well, dennis guastella

dguastell.blogspot.com
dennisg@wccnet.edu