Sunday, December 10, 2006

I Stand Corrected

A recent email:

I ck in on your blog from time to time when im bored and surfing. glad to hear you've found peace in new zealand. thought you might like to be reminded that you did walk out out on another movie, 1995's leaving las vegas, a movie about suicidal alcoholism which also has strong scenes of violence against women, staring nicholas cage. take care.

I do remember the moment of walking out of that movie and I've been writing about that emotion ever since and will continue.....

In the meantime, what does 'stand corrected' mean? Does it mean that I stand up to be seen to acknowledge a wrong I committed in word or deed? Does it mean I mean it more than if I was sitting and acknowledged it? Or does it mean I've accepted the correctness, and I stand and take it like a man? What is the origin of this phrase that so easily fell off my tongue, without a thought?...I stand corrected....It's just a phrase, a title for the blog, but I'm sure its meaning is quite deep because when we use "I stand corrected," everyone knows what we mean.

No comments: